We’ve identified the problem areas on the greens, then we prioritised them into what needs to be done first. Once we’d completed the worst two areas (1st green, 13th approach) we moved onto the 3rd green, the very front portion.
The front part of the green was a problem area, causing the green to be off many times due to holding onto moisture. The plan was to install over 50m of pipe, a drain running around the front then off down the hill to be collected in a carry away drain beside the 4th green, a lateral from on the green would also run into the system.
The way we complete the task is a little different than you would in your back garden due to the quality of the materials we use. We use a 2 tier system, where we have 6mm stone placed over the pipe with rootzone then placed directly onto the drainage stone. The way you would carry out the task in your garden would be to use 10-20mm limestone, then place a membrane to stop the soil migrating into the stone.
The drains are 600mm deep (all hand dug!), the pipe is 100mm.
The pipe is installed then the 6mm drainage stone is placed up to 300mm from the surface. Rootzone is then placed on top of the drainage stone to within mm’s of the surface, this allows up to place turf taken from the 7th nursery green on to the new trenches.
We did exactly the same on the 1st & 13th. We are hoping to complete small tasks on the 4th & 10th green to improve the putting surfaces.
Drainage work on the greens,
We have started on a drainage plan to improve certain greens this week. The first job was to install a new drain to the front of the 1st green,
This is a 100mm perforated pipe, installed to the depth of 600-750mm. It’s been covered with 6mm stone up to 300mm of the surface, rootzone will then be used with new greens turf being laid.
We feel this should solve the problem at the front of the green, we can always run more drains into this large drain in the future if needed.
Next week we are going to start the challenge which is the 13th approach. This is the reason why the green has been off so often in the last few weeks
My plan is to install one main drain with 4 laterals running into it, this will hopefully catch the water before it gets onto the green, and also firm up the area.
We are also going to shape the ground so it helps us direct the water where we want it to go, the main issue we will have on this job is the amount of fall. Unfortunately the drains in the greens are not that deep.
We are going to install a similar system to the 1st green on the 3rd green
The two other greens I am going to focus on are the areas on the 4th & 10th. On the 4th we will dig down on the problem area in the middle of the green exposing the drain that is there, replace the drainage stone, replace the rootzone and trim the turf of thatch.
On the 10th the target areas will be the middle portions on either side. The plan is to bore down with a post borer as deep as it will go, backfill with stone then top up with rootzone, the turf will be re-laid with the majority of the thatch removed.
I have plans to do a short term and long term report on the greens in the near future that I will email out, it will explain what has been done so far, and what we haven’t been able to do and why.
If you have any feedback please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also please follow us on twitter at @ashtonleagreen